Why Do I Need A Will?
If there is no will, your family members could end up engaged in a cumbersome and lengthy process before your assets could legally be passed on to them. This could be at a time when they are most vulnerable, especially when untimely death has occurred. Sometimes, they could become involved in a long drawn process with the law. Disputes amongst family members may lead to a complicated legal battle.
When there is no will, the law decides on the persons who are to benefit from your estate. This is termed "intestacy". You should never assume that your assets would go to the persons you want to benefit. In Singapore, the rules governing the distribution of an intestate's property are stated in the Intestate Succession Act (Cap 146). There are prescribed rules for distribution and, these rules may not be in line with your distribution wishes. Leave nothing to chance. Make a will and the law will protect your wishes.
With a will, you can:
- Decide who your beneficiaries shall be
- Decide the persons whom you wish to entrust with the responsibility of dealing with and distributing your estate
- Determine the specific assets that are to be given to each beneficiary and when they are to receive such gifts
- Specify which assets should first be used topay your debts
- Expedite probate and avoid the need for an administration bond
- Appoint guardians for minor children
Question & Answer
What is a Will?
A will is a legal document where you list down your wishes and how those wishes are to be carried out in your absence. It also spells out the names of the persons whom you entrust with the responsibility for taking charge of your assets and the proper distribution to the beneficiaries, upon your death.
Why use Rockwills Professional Will-Writing Service?
Now drawing up a will is as easy as making a phone call... to Rockwills. The Rockwills Professional Estate Planner can take your instructions in the privacy of your office or the comfort of your home. Using our unique Professional Will-writing system and personalized service, your will can be tailor made to suit your unique situation. This will avoid the pitfalls of an intestacy illustrated below.
Mr. Khoo dies in an untimely fatal accident, leaving behind his spouse and 2 minor children, his aged parents and a disabled brother, all of whom are maintained by him and living in the same household. With Mr. Khoo's untimely passing without a will, his estate will be distributed under the Intestate Succession Act (Cap 146). Under the Act, only Mr. Khoo's wife and his children will benefit. The wife will receive 1/2 and the 2 children will get the other 1/2 in equal shares. The aged parents and the disabled brother will not get anything from Mr. Khoo's estate. Much will then depend on Mr. Khoo's spouse to decide on the amounts to give for the maintenance of the aged parents and the disabled brother. The chances are that disputes and quarrels over the amounts of maintenance for various family members will occur and this will lead to an unhappy family situation.
- Do you want your parents to struggle without the security of funds for their maintenance?
- Do you want to put your spouse and children through an unnecessarily long legal process before getting their entitlement to your estate?
- Do you want persons not chosen by you to manage the estate for your spouse and children?
- Do you want to put your spouse and children through the difficulty of finding 2 persons to be sureties (guarantors) for the administration bond?
- Do you want your spouse and children to be burdened with high distribution costs and administrative delays in distributing assets?
- Do you want your beneficiaries to end up arguing over the payment of high legal fees and costs? If your answer to any of the above is "No", then write a will to protect your loved ones.
Why you must keep your Will secure?
At Rockwills, we also offer Professional Custody service for your will. Our unique retrieval service will ensure that your will can be found quickly when the need arises. Meanwhile, your will shall be protected from natural disaster and against tampering.
Benefits of writing your will through Rockwills:
- Comprehensive and Professional Will-Writing Services
- Full time in-house Legal Advisors to support and check all wills
- Unique retrieval system with Personal Bar Coded Custody Card for added security
- Continuous personalised service, fully backed by the Rockwills International Group
- Special bar coded will to minimize fraud or tampering.
That is why more than 100,000 clients today have written their Wills through Rockwills.
Why use Rockwills Professional Will Custody Service?
A will is the best way to ensure that your instructions for the well-being of your family is carried out when you are no longer around. But writing a will is only half of the story. The other half is keeping it in a secure place. Some people hide their will so well it is as good as lost! Most people would keep it in a bank safe deposit box. Not a good idea when it comes to a will. Simply because when the account holder is no longer around, the deposit box and everything in it will be frozen. What can your family do then?
A far better answer is to use our Professional will Custody Service.
- Prevent tampering and preserve confidentiality.
- Safe from calamities such as fire and flood.
- Free from accidental or deliberate destruction.
- Controlled access with special Custody Identification Cards.
- Unique retrieval system with Personal Bar Coded Custody Card
- Certain to be found when needed.
- Lifetime discount for Rewriting your will.